Sunday, September 14, 2014

2nd Graders and Common Core

        Oh common core what am I going to do with you? It's time now to talk about my little 2nd graders. Yet again I have to make sure that my goals are being aligned with common core state standards. Keeping with that in mind I needed some help. Digging through the common core standards for my 2nd graders I came across the standards that I as a speech path I am currently already using in my therapy.  I picked out these standards and created an activity per standard. 

Here are a few activities I have been doing.


Speech Language
Top Left: RL.2.1
Top Right: RI.2.5
Middle Left: RF.2.4 b
Middle Right: SL.2.4
Bottom Center: L.2.1c


RL.2.1
Speech Language
"Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, and how, to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text."

The student read the short story aloud and then answered the who, what, when, where, why, and how questions. 


RI.2.5
Speech Language
"Know and use various text features (e.g., captions, bold print, subheadings, glossaries, indexes, electronic menus, icons) to locate key facts or information in a text efficiently."

The student read the information provided (heading, subheading, text, and glossary) to answer the questions below.


RL.2.4 b
Speech Language
"Read grade-level text orally with accuracy, appropriate rate, and expression on successive readings".

The student read the story, The Blind Men and the Elephant aloud and I rated him below indicating (met, in progress, or not met).


SL.2.4
Speech Language
"Tell a story or recount an experience with appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details, speaking audibly in coherent sentences."

The student recounted an experience from the previous session we had together. I rated the student on her appropriate facts, relevant facts, descriptive details, speaking audibly, and using coherent sentences.


L.2.1. c
Speech Language
"Use reflexive pronouns (e.g., myself, ourselves)."

The student read the sentences aloud to me and used the word bank above to use the correct reflexive pronoun. It helped the student to read all of the sentences first and word bank options before writing down her answers.



Speech Language

If you would like to purchase this product click here!
2nd Grade Common Core!

This product includes an activity for the following standards:
RL.2.1, RL.2.2, RL.2.3, RL.2.6, RL.2.7, RL.2.9

RI.2.1, RI.2.2, RI.2.3, RI.2.4, RI.2.5, RI.2.6, RI.2.9

RF.2.4b

SL.2.1a, SL.2.1b, SL.2.1c, SL.2.2, SL.2.3, SL.2.4, SL.2.5, SL.2.6

L.2.1b, L.2.1c, L.2.1d, L.2.1e, L.2.1f, L.2.4a, L.2.4b, L.2.4c, L.2.4d, L.2.4e, L.2.5a, L.2.5b, L.2.6



Speech Language


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment