Sunday, September 27, 2015

How to Keep Your Students Working Hard for 30 Minutes

Motor Break      As a speech therapist I work with multiple different disabilities and different levels of abilities. Sometimes I feel like I spend the whole therapy session just trying to control behaviors and to keep everyone working hard and on task for 30 minutes. Have you ever had that session where you look back and ask yourself if anyone learned anything? Okay I know it's not actually that bad, but sometimes that's honestly how I feel. 


    This year I decided I would make a "wiggle jar" a.k.a motor break cards. I figured a "wiggle jar" sounded way MORE fun than "motor break cards". :D 



Directions
Motor Break
       First, print out the cards and cut then out. There are 4 cards per page. Then laminate for durability! You will be happy you laminated them after about two kids dig around in the jar for the perfect card! I might have learned this the hard way! Next I glued them to popsicle sticks I picked up at my local JoAnn Craft Store. Then I put them in a jar and labeled it the "wiggle jar".


Motor Break Cards
motor break

motor break
      Overall there are a total of 16 cards with different activities to get my students up and out of their chairs. I made sure that they all should last about 30 seconds or less to complete. I'm hoping that this little bit of spontaneous movement will help some of my students who struggle to sit for an extended amount of time. 

   Click here to see more or purchase this product!


Pin Me!
motor break
     What strategies do you use to help your students who struggle to stay seated for an extended amount of time?


Thanks for checking out my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment